Community Chest of New Britain and Berlin, Inc. FundDONATE TO THIS FUND
The Community Chest of New Britain and Berlin traces its roots back to 1919, when the first annual “Community Chest” drive collected $27,500 in support of local social service programs. In 1981, the Chest merged with the Community Council to form “United Community Services,” later renamed the “United Way of New Britain and Berlin,” and in 1986 affiliated with the United Way of the Capital Area, Hartford.
In this latest chapter, begun in 2009, the Community Chest has resumed its original name and joined with the Community Foundation as a Supporting Organization. This affiliation preserves the Chest’s independence, protects its Endowment and assures that its work supporting important health & human services in New Britain and Berlin will continue for generations to come.
If you are a Berlin or New Britain non-profit organization providing health and human services and are interested in applying for a grant, please review the CCNBB grant guidelines.
Committed to continuing its tradition of supporting important local health and human service programs, the Community Chest has played a key role in supporting such local projects as the New Britain School District’s “Well-Managed Classroom” program, the new Osgood Park Food Pantry, and the Coalition for New Britain’s Youth. In its grantmaking, the Chest will consider requests for program grants, general operating support and seed grants for new programs.