Office Manager and Scholarship Associate
The Community Foundation of Greater New Britain is a nonprofit, community foundation which raises, administers and distributes philanthropic funds to improve the quality of life in central Connecticut and beyond. The mission of the organization centers on inspiring philanthropy, responsibly managing permanent charitable assets, and partnering with the community to address current needs.
The Office Manager and Scholarship Associate represents the Foundation and the Community Chest of New Britain and Berlin through excellent customer service and public relations being , in most instances, the first person a visitor , donor or Committee member will meet. S/he is expected to present a professional appearance and demeanor at all times. The Manager ensures that the Foundation’s operations – development, grant making, finance, and office run efficiently. S/he is expected to develop a thorough knowledge of the Foundation and its activities, in order to communicate effectively with and support staff members and the Foundation’s outside constituencies. The Office Manager reports to and acts as the administrative assistant to the President and also works closely with the Communications and Donor Relations Manager who supervises the Scholarship Program for the Foundation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be the receptionist for the Foundation and Community Chest of New Britain and Berlin for phone calls, emails, and other correspondence. Ensure that the phone system will be answered when he/she is unable to do so during normal business hours.
- Perform administrative assistant duties for the President of the Community Foundation.
- Be responsible for the general office area and physical appearance of the Foundation areas of the building for staff and visitors and for incorporating good customer service as part of Foundation operations.
- Assist staff with software and hardware issues they may experience with computers, printers, copiers and office equipment. Liaise with the IT vendors as needed.
- Be aware of the condition of the building and anything that needs to be addressed for the Foundation or for tenants. Coordinate routine building repairs and maintenance and work with the VP/CFO.
- Perform data entry and database updates on constituents, finance functions, copy documents, sort mail, compile mailings, produce reports from the database, as well as supporting staff with projects and requests in coordination with the President and his/her priorities.
- Manage and order all supplies as needed by staff and volunteers.
- Manage the phone system and ensure that staff are properly trained in the use of the equipment.
- Respond promptly and professionally in all manners of communication.
- Greet donors, volunteers and committee members in a congenial, friendly manner.
- Connect inquiries with the appropriate staff member in a timely manner.
- Monitor materials for Foundation and Community Chest logos, colors and messages that need to be updated and bring to the attention of the Communications and Donor Relations Manager.
- Update the office monitor slide show with current and ongoing appropriate content.
- Assist the Communications and Donor Relations Manager with updating social media content and web page content as well as social media strategy.
- Maintain office calendars, assists with meeting preparations, prepare mailing, meeting, and presentation materials. Set up meeting sites with supplies, food and beverages.
- Assembles the Board Books for Board meetings as needed and distributes them as needed. Monitors expected attendance for meetings. Attends meetings as needed.
- Works with the VP/CFO on Community Chest of New Britain and Berlin on administrative needs of the organization, coordinates grant and sponsorships, attends board meetings and presents reports to the board.
- Under the supervision of the Communications and Donor Relations Manager work in coordination with the Scholarship Committee to;
- manage and grow the long-standing scholarship program
- examine current scholarship agreements and actions that need to be taken to make the program more effective and impactful
- build the new Degree Completion Initiative
- build a new CFGNB Endowed Scholarship
- steward the current scholarship fund donors to strengthen relationships, add to, and grow their funds
- work with development and the President to cultivate and solicit prospective donors for new scholarship funds
- Assist with the updates on CFGNB and Community Chest website; update the E news subscriber list and corresponding database information. Maintain foundation information in FIMS, including profiles, affiliations, annual giving and scholarship information.
- Manage gift/ non-gift processing to be accurate, including preparation and execution of bank deposits
- Prepare and send Fund Statements, spending policy information, and other communication pieces to donors as needed.
Perform other duties as requested
Required Skills and Abilities
Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred
Personal: Ability to work as part of a team and take initiative. Ability to accept responsibility for duties assigned by various directors. Thoroughness and attention to detail; flexibility and sense of humor.
Organizational: Strong knowledge of office procedures; ability to prioritize and manage a variety of tasks and projects; ability to perform duties requiring independent judgment with a minimum of supervision. Willingness to anticipate what needs to be done and follow through.
Computer: Thorough knowledge of Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Experience with databases helpful. Familiarity with other Office applications desirable. Ability to learn new applications with a minimum of supervision.
Communications: Ability to write and speak in a clear, concise and grammatically correct manner; ability to relate well and communicate effectively and pleasantly with the public and other Foundation staff.
SPECIFICATIONS: Full Time, 40 hrs / per week
CFGNB is an EEO/AA employer.
October 19, 2018
How to apply;
Interested candidates should provide a cover letter noting their interest and qualifications related to this job description and a resume to the following mailing address by November 19, 2018.
David J. Obedzinski, President/CEO
Community Foundation of Greater New Britain
74A Vine Street
New Britain, CT 06052
Or by email to;